Friday, January 16, 2009

fruition

Well, it's been a good week. I got some things done, I knocked out one of the STCW modules required for me to sit for the 3rd mate's exam (cargo handling and stowage, if you're interested), and met some damn decent people. Two things of note happened, which I'll mention in passing, as I have to be the bus driver for some guys at my school who have no wheels, and us about to be turned loose on Baltimore for the weekend:

1). Meeting with union officials. I attended a seminar that allowed me to learn more about my union, bylaws, and rights and responsibilities thereof, for the job above mine. It won't be soon enough, but I'll be changing divisions in my union after I get my license, and the officer's side is a lot different than the unlicensed. This way, I won't be ignorant, and also, I can put faces to names and get questions answered... this was good for me, I think, as I have been thinking that it isn't worth staying in my union once I get the license... I have reconsidered.

2). Company stuff. I touched base with my employer, which left me, strangely, with a warm fuzzy. When I walked off of my ship, I was ready to light myself on fire, or at the very least light someone nearby up. Discouragement, a low moment, whatever. I am reconciled to the fact that I have to work more in my current position, which I didn't want to do, but which will be necessary to pay the bills. So it goes. Another chance to learn more about the job above mine, whilst having none of the responsibilities thereof anyhow.

No comments: