Thursday, January 8, 2009

How Can I Be So Thirsty This Morning...

...When I drank so much last night?

The appeal of beer is no longer held with wistful fondness. The breath of asslike smell is reality. No excuses. I knew what I was doing. I didn't eat enough before going down to my local Irish pub with Vman. 5-6 Belhaven Ales and 12 hours later, a long shower and 3 bouts of toothbrushing... well, it was worth it. I no longer have an urge to drink for nostalgia's sake.

as an aside...
That Belhaven ale is good. I used to have one every morning when I lived in Scotland. I was in training. I was performing a research study that required me to travel to many of the Hebridean islands, and the smaller islands have a tradition of entertainment by getting foreigners bombed on massive quantities of their drinkable whisky. Since I had to have a large population sample for my study, I had to increase my alcohol tolerance. Which I did. It took 2 months of daily drinking to warm up, but when I was ready, I was able to hold almost a pint of raw whisky a night, which came in handy on the 18 islands I visited, and I got an awesomely- coherant data set. After I returned here, I didn't drink for almost a year, and after that, being drunk lost its' appeal. Nowadays, I get sick before I get even a good buzz, so where's the fun in that?

Really, 5 or 6 beers is just a warmup for some people. One more last night and I'd have been calling Ralph on the porcelain phone. I am a total lightweight.

No comments: