Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Damn seagulls

Ugh.

It was a beautiful night out in Gravesend anchorage in NY harbor. With a break between cargoes, we're moored here in the anchorage awaiting orders. Last night was one of the most comfortable, pleasant evenings I've had on the water; the kind of clear, cool night just made for staring out at the visual beauty of the New York skyline.
Today, however, is a different story. The seagulls found us during the night. My deck looks like someone slaughtered a pack of dalmatians on it. Black and white and red all over. Gross.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20110831/NEWS01/309010004/Man-accused-fatally-injuring-seagull?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, it sucks to clean up bird shit on a hot oil barge! Its even worse on barges that have boilers and carried 130,000 bbls of asphalt. Years ago when I was decking, I had the unfortunate pleasure of doing alot of sanitation scows, now that was a experience with seagulls I will never forget! Wash boat daily...then wash self!!! I am enjoying my retirement more today after thinking about those days. Good luck out there.