Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Network Not Available

So, after finally discharging a teeny tiny parcel of oil to the most rotten-looking scrap ship I've ever seen (this is after a 4-day delay, mind), we're back on an even keel here at HAWSEPIPER's Afloat Global HQ/gas n' guzzle. Today being Tuesday, it's been a long 4 days that we've been riding around with a port list like a clubfooted drunk. It feels nice to be walking on a flat deck again without the gangsta lean.
      At the end of the job, when it comes time for me to fax everyone in the world with copies of the paperwork from the discharge, I discover that the computer network is down.
      See, this is something I don't like about myself. I'm increasingly tethered to the electronic nipple that is my web access portal. When, after the 2 1/2 hours of blackout time had ended, and my multiple emails and faxes went out, I breathed a deep sigh of relief, like a drunk who knows that he's got enough to get him through the night until the packie opens up at 8am.


No comments: