Wednesday, April 8, 2015

In which I get a little jealous

So, I like to help prospective mariners get through the miserable labyrinthine credentialing process to become a US Merchant mariner. I don't usually do this for free, as, well, it takes time to do everything well, but I earn beer-money here and here, and that's about it. It's not a cheap thing to do, and I don't want to prey on folks who just want to learn a new trade.

      Short form is that I talk with guys, find out what they might want to do, what they're willing to do, and how long it will take them to come up with the fees that are associated with credentialing and training, where such things are necessary. After that, it's a matter of helping them find the right classes and offices and addresses, and then, when they get their papers, tweaking their resume and reaching out to see who among companies in their preferred line of work might be most amenable to looking over an entry-level resume. 

     Anyhow, this morning I sent off my first steward utility, a cook's helper, himself a trained chef and experienced short-order cook, who will be working on a ship with a large crew, to see if he'd like to make a career of it, or merely just work a few years and save up the money to open his own diner.


   In asking him to stay in touch, I am reminded of the phone call I made just before my airport taxi came, on the night I first left to join a ship. I was so fired up and excited, and grateful to the guy who helped me, so I called to say thanks to him for the advice he gave.
     I heard that same voice this morning when I picked up the phone, only I'm on the other side of it now. I miss that feeling.

No comments: